Monday, July 6, 2009

To tide you over...

I'm working on a post highlighting my awesome shower in Lubbock, but to tide you over, I'll post a couple of pics that I needed to post about.



This pic is at 27 weeks (so 3 1/2 weeks ago - June 5th). Pops and I are belly to belly!! Nana and Pops took Brandon and I to Del Frisco's and then to see Always Patsy Cline at Casa Manana for Brandon's birthday (his bday is 2/1 - but he got a gift certificate for this night back then). I love homemade certificates like this - it is stuff that we rarely do for ourselves, but always really enjoy. The show was great, and we helped bring down the average age of the audience by a bunch! Thanks Nana and Pops.



This is a pic of some more of Lovey's crafts. I'm telling you - Travis will be set on bibs, burp cloths, and blankets!!!

I spent all of last week in Lubbock recovering from lip surgery. I had a basal cell carcinoma removed, and my mom got to be my nurse. I did plenty of resting and spent plenty of time watching her craft. I interjected my genius where appropriate but pretty much left it to the pro. HA! My mom is absolutely amazing. Seriously there is no end to her talents. It was great hanging out with her, and I miss her already. Glad that she and my big sis will be here this weekend for another shower. We are so blessed!! I love you mom!

We have another doctor's appointment on Friday and are interviewing a pediatrician for Travis. I'm getting a list together of questions to ask the pedi, so please post if you have any suggestions.

XOXO,
Gara

6 comments:

  1. Hey Gara -
    I had been wondering the same thing myself so I had asked some friends. . .

    here are the main things they came up with . . .
    1. Weekend hours
    2. on call practice
    3. associated hospitals
    4. Do you get to see that actual doctor or will we be shuffled to another doctor next time we come in
    5. what is the wait time? (before seeing the nurse and then between seeing the nurse and the doc)
    6. Cancellation policy
    7. Does the doc have children him/herself

    That's a long comment but I hope it is useful.

    Your mum's crafts are amazing. Some people are just gifted . . .

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great - another one I've seen is if they have 2 separate waiting rooms - one for sick kids and one for healthy ones just getting shots, checkups, etc. I thought that was interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Are you board certified? Where did you do your residency? How many years have you been practicing?
    2. How soon after birth will the doctor see my baby?
    3. What are the office hours? (Some don't open until 9am!!)
    4. How are routine telephone calls handled in the office?
    5. How often does your office require/suggest my baby sees the doctor for checkups and immunizations?
    6. How are emergency calls handled during office hours? After office hours? Are you or a back-up physician available 24 hours a day, seven days a week? How do you handle emergencies?
    7. Who "covers" the practice when the doctor is unavailable? Other doctors within the practice or in the community?
    8. Does the practice include services provided by a nurse practitioner or other trained physician's assistant? If so, what type of care/services will the practitioner provide?
    9. Are there separate areas for well and sick children?
    10. What are your views about allowing babies to cry, disciplining children and dealing with sleeping problems?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is a crafty gal! I got VERY lucky with establishing a pediatrician. A fellow coach's wife is one in Waco :) All of those questions are great, though! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you just want a "word of mouth" reference from one pediatrician to another, feel free to ask me and I'll see what JB's Dad has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love our pediatrician (Dr. Brad Mercer). He and his staff have been fabulous!

    ReplyDelete